Optimizing the images is the best thing that you can do in order to increase your SEO and ensure that the WordPress site loads faster. There are many methods available that you can use to improve the speed of the page. One such method is optimization of the images with Plugins. You can use these methods that we are going to discuss now and see how it impacts the speed of the site. Images are essential to make the site look nice but they are too big and can seriously reduce the speed of the page. To do this you have to reduce the size of the images. You can do that without affecting the resolution of the pictures we will explain how in this article.
Pictures always have a better memory and the more use of images can really enhance the look and reach of your articles. Some bloggers avoid using images considering the fact that images can reduce the speed of the sites. Well after reading this article you will learn how to ensure that the images do not reduce the speed of the site.
- WP Smush – It is considered to be the best and the most user friendly of all the comprehension plugins that are available for WordPress. It can work on PNG, JPEG and GIF files. It can work on files that are up to 32MB in size. The WP Smush plugin works by stripping the meta data from the JPEG files. It will then optimize and compress these files as well as convert some of the GIF files. It can index the PNG files. It can also strip the un-used colours from the indexed images.
Automatic smushing is also possible with the WP Smush. It will automatically compress the images and upload it on the sites. The WP Smush is compatible with WP Retina 2X and NextGEN gallery. It can give high quality images and in the smallest possible size. GTmetrix.com recommends the WP Smush as a default optimization tip for WordPress sites. It uses the Yahoo! Inc. It can serve scaled images, avoid bad requests, it can avoid character set in meta tag and optimize images. You must re run the scan to check and fix any image if required.
Ewww image optimizer – This is a very effective image optimizer that you can use in order to improve the performance of your sites. It can even work on images that you have already uploaded on your site. It can automatically and effectively optimise any picture that you are loading on your site.
What the Ewww image optimizer plugin can do is convert the images that you are loading into file format which automatically reduces the size of these images. It can also work on PNG images. It can work on NextGen, GRAND and FIAGallery. It uses the lossless and lossy image format conversion. `
- CW Image optimizer – The CW Image optimizer is a very effective method that you can use for optimizing the images in your site. It uses Linux littleutils image optimization tool. This will ensure that the images will never leave your server. It can automatically work on the images you are uploading now as well as on the images that you have uploaded before.
It can be a little difficult to install the littleutils. This is the only drawback of this particular plugin if compared to the other plugins that we will be discussing in this article. One thing that you must be told here is that CW Image optimizer may sometime by error report some missing littleutils even though all the littleutils are installed. This can be quite misguiding.
- Imsanity – This is a widely used feature that can work on any image. The best part of Imsanity is that it will give you the ability to set the maximum height, quality and width for your images. This can help you to convert the BMP files to JPG format and then scale them accordingly. The feature image of Imsanity is quite scary but it can actually do a good job with your images.
You can enter the width and height in pixels of the pictures that you want in your post. The maximum height and width that you can chose here is 1024 pixel. The images are directly uploaded in the image library. You can also upload other images like themes, logos, background and headers. The quality of the JPG image can be selected. The default set up is 90 for WordPress when it comes to picture quality. You can chose the option of BMP to JPG as either yes or no and then save the changes. It is extremely easy to use and download. This makes many users use this plugin. Ensure that the backup of the full sized images is kept before you use this plugin. In case something goes wrong without the backup you will have a lot of hard work to do.
- Hammy – This is a very effective plugin as this can help even the mobile phone users. The use of smart phones is increasing and people like to surf a lot using their phones. What Hammy does is that it will resize the pictures to the best possible size. So that the users who are logging in your site can see the pictures in the best possible size. This automatically makes the experience faster and effective. This design is very adaptive and can work across various platforms.
Another interesting part or shortcoming of Hammy is that it can work only on images that are within the posts and the pages. It cannot work on custom post types. This is the only thing that does not go in favour of this particular plugin. What Hammy does is that it will resize the images that you want to put in your content as per the width of the content. What you need to enter is “the content container”, “the breakpoints” and “add the classes to ignore”. After you enter these just click on save changes and the job will be done.
- PB Responsive Images – This will help you to automatically reformat the images and format them similar to the picture tag that is proposed by the Responsive images community group on the w3.org. PB Responsive Images is very easy to install and con
What PB Responsive Images
does is that it will reformat each of the images based on the CSS media queries and the SLIR query pair. PB Responsive Images will give it more flexibility and improve the variety of combinations. PB Responsive Images plugin will also provide short codes that can help you to customize the queries for each of the images. Using the helper function the queries can be customised as per the post and the layout you are working on. This helper function is more useful for theme authors. It is Bootstrap and JQuery powered.
- SEO Friendly Images – This is a plugin that can edit any image. These editing is done using the TITLE and the ALT attributes. This can help to improve the SEO significantly. If the images that you are using do not have the TITLE and the ALT attributes the SEO Friendly Images plugin will add them as per the usage of the options. This will ensure that the users like your page and they share it. SEO Friendly Images plugin will help you build high quality design for your site and make it more usable. SEO Friendly Images plugin can ensure that the reach is deep into other pages at a matter of few clicks. Overall improves the performance and popularity of your site
Some people may question if it is necessary to use TITLE and the ALT attributes. These attributes are important. The ALT attribute will describe the images that must be searched and the TITLE attribute will instantly appear on the tooltip as the user browse over the image. SEO Friendly Images plugin can add TITLE and the ALT attributes to all your images that are specified by the parameters as mentioned below:
You can enter any text in the field by including two tags:
%category – replaces the post category
%title – replaces the post title
%tags- replace post tags
%name – replaces the name of the of the file or the image
The enclosed example will explain how the image options can be updated:
For the ALT attribute – %name%title
For title attribute – %title
We recommend that you chose the option of “override default WordPress image alt tag option.
- Media File Renamer – It is another plugin that will allow you to rename the media files. Media File Renamer renames the media files by updating the titles. This ensures that the links in the posts with these images also get updated accordingly.
You may wonder why you need to rename the files. Well this is because the search engines like Google gives a lot of importance to the file name. If the file names are described well and have the appropriate keywords used in the names then the SEO of the images will improve. Media File Renamer will also tell you about the files that it could not rename. You can rename these files. You can rename the flagged media or all the media as per your choice. You must ensure that the WordPress upload folder and database has a proper backup created before you try this plugin as it changes the name of the files. If you do not have backups you can face serious problems if something goes wrong while using this Media File Renamer plugin.
- Lazy Load – The best part about lazy load plugin is that they do not need to be configured. They work as out of the box. We are including Lazy Load in this list because we think they are equally important as the other plugins we have been discussing about. This is a search engine friendly plugin.
Lazy load can improve the performance of image selection drastically. It has a unique feature of cascading enabling/disabling levels. It can customise the loading options. It can also work on theme images. With this you can ensure that the quality of the image that you are using will never be compromised on. Lazy load is basically a fast and a modern way of loading images. You do not have to depend on any library or JQuery to load images.
- BJ Lazy Load – This is a plugin that will allow you to lazy load selected images. You can include iframes, post images, Gravatar images and thumbnails. This will replace the content with the placeholder. BJ Lazy load is an advanced form of lazy load itself. It has a number of additional features and simple settings in BJ Lazy Load that you can use in order to improve the performance of your site. You can skip images with classes using this plugin.
The BJ Lazy Load can work on images of any size. It can reduce the size of these images and make them more responsive. It can work on hiDPI images which are used in Apple’s retina display. It can ensure that your site loads much faster. It can reduce the number of banners and sliders in the website page which leads to an increase in speed. It can save a lot of bandwidth for you. The BJ Lazy Load uses JQuery and can gracefully degrade the non-js users. It can work effectively on images as well as iframes. Basically what you do not see on the screen is not being loaded too.
These are some of the best optimization plugins that you can use for the images on your site. We hope that you must have found the information interesting and informative. You can try to use few of these plugins and see how it can change the performance of your site.